Monday, February 16, 2015

Literary Lundi (Gras) #13

Books Acquired:

The Art Restorer by Julian Sanchez-- This is the sequel to a book I read a while back. It's translated from Spanish.

Love is the Drug by Alaya Dawn Johnson--I've read several epidemic-based books recently, and it's a concept I find pretty interesting.

Wildalone by Krassi Zourkova-- This is blurbed as The Secret History meets Twilight which definitely caught my attention.

Saul's Game by Andrew Kaplan-- A Homeland tie-in novel.

Curtsies & Conspiracies and Waistcoats & Weaponry by Gail Carriger-- These are the second and third books in a series I started and enjoyed.

Books Finished:

Only one book finished this week.


Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1)Red Rising by Pierce Brown
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

At first, I was a bit torn on whether to give this 4 or 5 stars. On the one hand, I read it pretty quickly and generally didn't want to put it down. On the other hand, when I had 30 pages left but felt kind of tired, I opted for sleep. I think a 5-star would have kept me up. So it's probably a 4.5.

The story takes place on Mars, in a society with strictly delineated castes. The cover blurb compares it to The Hunger Games and Ender's Game, and I would say that's pretty accurate, maybe with a little bit of The Maze Runner thrown in. It's action-packed and gets pretty violent, but also puts a bit of a different spin on the basic dystopia plot. There's a lot here to think about and consider, as there always is with these kinds of books. It's a strong addition to the genre and I would like to read the next books in the series.

View all my reviews

Currently Reading:

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Up Next:

I haven't decided yet, but since my last few books have been fiction, I'll probably try to do a non-fic.


No comments:

Post a Comment