Monday, January 12, 2015

Literary Lundi #8

Books Acquired:

How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran-- This seems to be sort of a modern-day The Bell Jar, which is one of my favorite books ever.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot by David Shafer-- I forget what exactly made me want to read this, or where I heard about it, but the synopsis seems a bit DFW-y, so that's a good thing.

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau-- Because I can't go a week without buying a YA dystopia.

Books Finished:


Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything (Freakonomics, #1)Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So, this might be more of a 4.5 but I'm trying to reserve the 5-star ranking for full-on favorites these days.

Anyway, I wasn't totally sure what to expect from this book. I basically knew it was a pop economics book, a genre I'd never read before. This is the kind of book I think would appeal to fans of Bill Bryson, in that on every page there is some fun fact that you have to turn to the person next to you and say, "Did you knoW?" My complaint would be that it was too short, but since my version was the revised and expanded, it did have a bit more content, plus I guess they have written some other books since this one came out.

This is much lighter reading than it seemed like it would be; I got through the main part of the book really quickly. If you are the kind of person who loves looking for connections between things I think you'll get a big kick out of this.

View all my reviews

Currently Reading:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire-- I'm really enjoying this re-read. It's the first book where they start growing up a bit, which is fun to experience again.

Selected Short Stories by Rabindranath Tagore-- This is the first book in my effort to read more diversely. The author apparently won the Nobel Prize a while back. The stories are definitely pretty different--they start with a different set of cultural assumptions, and I kind of wish I had an annotated edition or something because I'm sure there are subtleties I'm not picking up on.

Up Next:

I'm making my way through the audiobook as quick as possible, but it's a long one. My tentative next audiobook is We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, since I've heard a lot about it and it sounds intriguing. I haven't really looked at what my next e-book will be, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment