Monday, December 1, 2014

Literary Lundi #3

I've taken advantage of some of the Cyber Monday/Black Friday ebook sales to get several new books this week!

Books Acquired:

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente-- I'd been interested in this book since it came out, so I insta-bought it when I saw it was on sale.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge-- Fairy tale re-telling is one of my favorite genres and I've been hearing about this one forever as well.

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski-- I think this is a dystopia type thing? I had put it on my "to-read" so I apparently thought it looked interesting at some point, and when I looked at Goodreads I noticed a few of my friends had reviewed or added it.

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon (audio)-- I got a $10 credit from Audible, then a book I wanted was on sale so I should be set on audiobooks for a while.

Books Finished


Yes PleaseYes Please by Amy Poehler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So, this is pretty much exactly what you'd expect it to be. If you liked Bossypants and/or Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, then chances are you will like this one, too. Amy seems waaaaayyyy less straight-edge than Tina, so some of the details are "juicier," but she definitely seems to value her privacy regarding some parts of her life; there is very little pertaining to her divorce from Will Arnett, aside from saying she doesn't want to talk about it.

I always get a little sad reading books like these, because it reminds me that I want to be an entertainer and probably won't be, and Amy Poehler gets to hang out with Kathleen Hanna and I don't, and stuff like that.

So yeah, this book is funny, but there are also some serious parts; in some ways it seems a bit like a collage, jumping back and forth through time, self contained events cobbled together to make a picture of Amy Poehler.

The audio is amazing. It's read by Amy, of course, and she also gets several celebrity guests to read with her, which is really cool.

If you were interested in this book at all, I think it will deliver exactly what you wanted.

View all my reviews

Currently Reading:

The Antiquarian by Julian Sanchez-- Yep, still working on it. Not because it isn't good; I'm really enjoying it. I just haven't read as much this week. On the few nights I was up because I couldn't sleep, I decided to play video games or watch TV instead of reading. I should finish it this week though.

The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood (audio)-- This book is weird. I think the most I can say about it so far is that it doesn't seem like it was written in the sixties.

Next Up:

So last time I postulated that my next book would be nonfiction, and I think I'm going to stick to that, although I haven't decided exactly what yet. I have a few memoirs in my library and I am probably going to go with one of those. Either Chronicles, Vol 1 by Bob Dylan or Rock On: An Office Power Balad by Dan Kennedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment