Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Plane Ride

I'm going to do these posts just a little bit at at time, since a lot has happened in the past few days. Figured I'd start with our arrival in Germany. I was pretty stressed out about it since basically every time I travel something goes horribly horribly wrong. This time was surprisingly uneventful. The main snag was when we were checking our bags in New Orleans, there was apparently something wrong with the computer system, so we had to stand there for awhile and then the tags they put on the bags were these handwritten ones, which definitely had me wringing my hands for the next 12 hours or so but it did turn out ok.

The best part of the flight over was our second leg of the trip, from Washington, DC to Copenhagen. We got upgraded to "Economy Plus," which is their middle tier. It seemed definitely nicer than the coach section, although their coach section wasn't quite as nice as, say, British Airways'. There was free liquor, which I obviously couldn't enjoy, but Hunter was able to partake. My favorite part was probably the meal, mainly because of the silverware. It was Georg Jensen, which I remembered seeing on my dad's episode of Antiques Roadshow. I also got to FINALLY watch Les Miserables which I'd been trying to see forEVER.

We arrived in Dusseldorf just fine and breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when all five of our checked bags came out quickly and unharmed. The driver we had reserved from SunTransfers was there to meet us and drove us to where we were going quickly. So, getting here has definitely been the easiest part of the trip so far. We got here pretty early in the morning, so we had a day to do some things, which I will talk about a bit in my next post.

1 comment: